Egg Drop Soup


For Christmas last year I made an Egg cookbook for Will (which I was very, very proud of, despite the fact that the messy, wrinkly properties of Elmer’s glue left it looking like a kindergarten art project).  Our four (very much grown up :) babies produce, on average, an egg per day each, and I figured we would need to start getting creative in that department or we’d either be sick of fried eggs or buried under a mound of fresh ones.  

I looked in the cookbook the other night, just for ideas (as we all know the anticipated stress of following a recipe is enough to break me out in hives) and found Egg Drop Soup, which couldn’t possibly be that hard......

I used the ingredients we had (or something close enough....) and simply left out the others.  For most kinds of cooking, this is really ok.  Baking, as far as I’m concerned, is a science that looms well over my head, but most of the rest of cooking adventures are just a mixture of one kind or another.

The recipe called for 4 cups of chicken stock, I used ___?___ cups of veggie broth.  It called for cornstarch; we had none.  It called for mushrooms, instead I threw in a healthy dose of minced garlic.  The only important part of the process was stirring in the lightly beaten eggs while the liquid boiled.  And man is that ever cool.

I added a few spoonfuls of organic soy sauce, a splash of Sriracha (just for kicks--pun very much intended) and a handful of chopped green onions from the backporch.

Can’t go wong with this one!

Approximate Price: $5 

1 comment:

  1. Hm. I have been trying to think of recipes to add some variety recently. I think I'll try this. By the way, if you have any interest in what I've been doing, here's my blog. Happy travels.
    http://caitlanburns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete